Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] ASSEMBLY-136: Updated proposal v4

To address the concern with the attribute name needing to be tied to promotion.  How about @promoteAddsTargets (default is false)?

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com

From: David Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS
To: sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 08/11/2009 10:11 AM

Just cat catching up with this discussion again.

(1) The main difference seems to be that Simon's proposal requires @multiplicity on composite refs, which I dislike because it complicates the 90% cases, 0..1 and 1..1. I have a preference for Mike's proposal in this regard, which I view as simpler. Even in Mike's proposal I think we could simplify things further, but I doubt that I could get agreement on what I want (e.g. I'd make it illegal to (a) specify targets on composite references, and (b) I'd make it illegal to specify a component ref with multiplicity 1..1 without any targets).

(2) However, I prefer Simon's formulation of ASM60011, but I have one small concern with the wording (Mike's variant has the same problem):
The multiplicity of a composite reference MUST be equal to or further restrict the multiplicity of each of the component references that it promotes, with the exception that the composite reference does not have to supply a target if there is already a target on the component reference. This means that a component reference with multiplicity 1..1 and a target can be promoted by a composite reference with multiplicity 0..1, and a component reference with multiplicity 1..n and one or more targets can be promoted by a composite reference with multiplicity 0..n or 0..1.

It's the phrase " ...the composite reference does not have to supply a target...". I don't think we mean this to be so literally constrained. I think we mean " ...the composite reference or the component reference higher up in the implementation hierarchy does not have to supply a target...".

(3) I wish we could come up with a better name than @nonOverrideable. How about @addToTargets?
@addToTargets = false, the default, means replace the targets with targets from higher in the implementation hierarchy
@addToTargets = true, means add targets from higher in the implementation hierarchy to the targets on this reference

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Mike Edwards ---08/11/2009 08:21:17 AM---Folks, I am much happier with this version. It is simpler.Mike Edwards ---08/11/2009 08:21:17 AM---Folks, I am much happier with this version. It is simpler.

Mike Edwards <mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com>

OASIS Assembly <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>

08/11/2009 08:21 AM

Re: [sca-assembly] ASSEMBLY-136: Updated proposal v4

Folks,

I am much happier with this version. It is simpler.

The downside is that I believe that it is a breaking change, so we shall need to think hard about that.

Yours, Mike.

Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014 Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email: mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com