Subject: RE: [sca-assembly] Pointer to SCA event processing presentation

[<MartinC>] This is a contradiction. The current concepts are not adequate, and even you have bee proposing tweaks to them.

> > The current model requires references and services to be wired,
>
> This is not accurate. It requires them to be configured with a
> binding. That is different.
[<MartinC>] Im sorry, the current model requires a wire or a target to be specified, independent of what binding is used.

> > requires the
> > interfaces on each end to match (or at least a subset to match),
>
> This is also not accurate. My proposal requires the *data* to match
> (i.e. be the same type or a substitutable type), not the interfaces.

[<MartinC>] Im getting confused dipping in and out of the current 1.1. model and your on the fly proposal. Im trying to stay at the
current model and understand its deficiencies.

> believe this is required of all approaches. I'll also note at the risk
> of belaboring the point that this is how the JMS binding behaves. For
> example, I can configure a reference with the JMS binding pointing to
> a destination A and configure a service using the JMS binding that is
> associated with the same destination. The reference and service can
> have different interfaces as long as the data matches.

[<MartinC>] Not with the current 1.1 definitions and JMS binding you can't

> > and then relies on a binding to support the 1-to-1 interaction. If
> > you take the need for a wire out of the equation and push
> > interaction semantics (1-m,m-1, m-n) down into a binding, you have
> > IMHO
> > invented a different type of wire, for which the current semantics
> > (such as interface matching) are no longer necessary - and for
> > which autowiring may become very problematic.
>
> My proposal doesn't invent anything new here. This is exactly how a
> reference behaves when bound to a service provider that is hosted
> outside the domain.
[<MartinC>] Yes but we are within a domain not outside it...

[<MartinC>] >In this context, interface matching is not done as
> with a wire. Also, autowire has nothing to do with this use case as
> autowire is only used for wiring references to services (by the
> definition of wiring, in the same domain), which is not being done here.
>

> > I don't think we need code snippets to explore these differences, as
> > we have to be
> > able to conceptualise at the SCDL level.
> >

> I'm sorry you disagree and would urge you to reconsider. I find
> walking through concrete examples - code and SCDL - very useful since
> it helps establish a common understanding and vocabulary. In my
> experience it also helps in driving consistency at a conceptual level
> and validates a design.
>

> > One of the use cases we have within Oracle is in the presentation,
> > that of a new employee.
> > Rather than build an HR business process that hard wires (pun
> > intended) the processes required throughout Oracle,
> > the HR system send out a new employee event. This is then captured
> > by whoever is listening (payroll, IT, directory updates,
> > security), of course the HR system doesn't know beforehand who and
> > how many other recipients there are. In addition each listener
> > may also be listening for other events from other producers in the
> > system, and typically there is an additional listener who
> > captures all events into a log. This type of scenario is hard to
> > model with SCDL as it stands, even though we tried.
> >

> I would like to walk through the difficulties using a combination of
> SCDL and code. If you agree, I can post an example of what I was
> thinking.

[<MartinC>] The trouble is you are commenting on our proposal by making your own proposal, which is fine, but unless you write up a
proposal in full it really is hard to follow this discussion, scl and or code snippets aside. That's really my main point here.