Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] RECOMMENDATION: Stand up new SC

Jeff,

You are welcome to make a proposal along these lines to the Assembly TC.

As Martin points out in his note, a number of alternative approaches to handling the Event Processing proposal
were discussed in the TC, which resulted in the current compromise approach.  There was a discussion of having
a subcommittee - and the Assembly TC has a Testing Subcommittee as a practical example of that approach.
However, some folk on the TC were not happy with the inability of the subcommittee to make decisions (ie every
actual decision has to be made by the full TC), which resulted in the idea of a subcommittee not being chosen.

However, if you think that a subcommittee would be better than the current compromise arrangements, it is
something that we can discuss at a future meeting.  It would be useful if other folk on the committee could
express their views on this to the mailing list.

From: "Estefan, Jeff A (3100)" <jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: "'OASIS Assembly'" <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 10/09/2009 15:33
Subject: [sca-assembly] RECOMMENDATION: Stand up new SC

Mike and Martin,

Given the growing discussion thread surrounding issue ASSEMBLY 80 on creating an event processing model for SCA, and the more recent issues regarding adding SCA support for pub/sub in general, may I recommend that you stand up a new Subcommittee (SC) under the auspices of the SCA-Assembly TC.  This is very easy to do under the OASIS framework.  It has the advantage of being able to appoint an SC chair (or co-chairs), create a separate Kavi space for capturing SC artifacts, meeting announcements, etc., and, perhaps most importantly, any recommended technical products emerging from the SC must still pass a full vote of the parent TC; in this case, the SCA-Assembly TC.  Anish, Martin, and others have done an outstanding job in crafting candidate solutions to address issue ASSEMBLY 80; however, there is clearly a lot of work still to do and dissension still remains on a solution set.  In other words, a final solution that we can all live with does not appear imminent; hence, the need to stand up a separate SC.  Just a suggestion.

Now, even if we were to standup a new SC, my personal feeling is that every effort should be made to get the current (non-eventing) SCA-Assembly spec  ratified as an OASIS standard at the very earliest possible date.  It is only when these specs become formal industry standards that we will be able to enforce its conformance criteria with the ultimate goal of full interoperability of the solutions that implement these specs.

Note that I will be on travel next week and unable to attend both the TC meeting on Tue and supporting eventing discussion on Wed so if this issue comes up, I won’t be available to address any questions regarding standing up an SC.  Nevertheless, it’s very easy to do and our friends from the OASIS staff can assist us.  We’ve done it readily on other TCs I serve.

Regards…

 - Jeff E.