Subject: RE: [sca-assembly] some of our concerns with the eventing proposal

Jeff,

I think that the business case for adding Event Processing to SCA is that we have customers building systems that do combine event processing
and service processing.  Currently that means a change in paradigm for the programmers and application assemblers:
 - eg. introducing "messy" middleware APIs into what would otherwise be "clean" SCA service components.
-  eg. Having a good model for the Assembly of service components but no model at all for the assembly and organization of components linked via event communications.

From my point of view, it is more a question of why you *wouldn't* want to model event interactions as well as service interactions.

Now, as to what needs to be done to the SCA specifications to deal with event processing, that is a different question....

From: "Estefan, Jeff A (3100)" <jeffrey.a.estefan@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: "'OASIS Assembly'" <sca-assembly@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 09/09/2009 18:50

Martin,

After listening in on today's conversation, it seems one of the key sticking points is a desire to support the "fire and forget" pub/sub messaging model in which an event producer say is (or wishes to be) completely decoupled from an event consumer(s).  While such models are in ubiquitous use each and every day, I do not believe that such a communication model implies the event consumer(s) are completely decoupled from some third party mediator entity, i.e., an event broker or channel.  There has to be some semantic engagement between the broker/channel and the consumer, at a minimum, an agreed upon information model for understanding the syntax and semantics of the event notification messages and the underlying communication protocol that will be used as part of the interaction.  May seem obvious, but just wanted to get that point across.  Unfortunately, we ran out of time today before I could get on the queue.

A lot of discussion on proposed techniques or "tricks" to add to the SCA-Assembly spec in order to support the event processing paradigm, but have yet to hear a solid business case for doing so. IMHO, of course.

Regards...

- Jeff E.