Subject: RE: [sca-assembly] [SCA EVENTS] Summary of tentative agreements

Scott,

Can we at least agree it's a point for discussion since there are differing views here?

Other comments below.

Martin.

> Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] [SCA EVENTS] Summary of tentative agreements
>
> Martin,
>
> I was afraid that I mis-heard Peter's question to me, and it looks
> like I did.  I'm not in agreement with number 4, and I think I can
> safely say I speak for TIBCO on this.
>
> In my view, the constraints on "wiring" and interface compatability
> should be contingent upon the character of the interface.  For
> example, an interface entirely full of one-way operations (I'll call
> them events) does not require a producer of those events to produce
> any or all of them; it merely guarantees that no *other* events will
> be produced by that producer.

[<MartinC>] I think you are going to have to clarify "who" the interface is defined by.
However this seems to me like saying a client specifying a reference is not obliged to invoked any operation on the service, which
in my mind is not worth saying;) As to the other point, can a producer produce things that it didn't declare, we had a long
discussion on that in OSAO and compromised on a SHOULD - one of the rationale being that in wsdl you can define faults, but other
faults may be sent that were not explicitly declared (e.g. SOAP faults)

> Our current wiring and interface compatibility rules simply make the
> assumption that every interface has at least one request-reply
> operation.

[<MartinC>] Mike E replied to that point, but another discussion point is would/can a one-way operation mixed in with
request-responses in an interface be considered as an event or not i.e. what is special about that one-way in a mixed interface vs
an interface exclusively comprised of one-ways? I think questions like this are interesting, and point to the fact that while we
might not agree about position 4, we should explore the area?