Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] REOPEN ISSUES 132 and 149: Update to Sanjay's Proposal

On Apr 29, 2010, at 4:45 AM, Konradi, Philipp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree with Sanjay and especially one of his last statements:
>> By lowering the bar and inviting more entrants in the game now, I
>> think
>> we will be making the value proposition of the SCA standard more
>> attractive to the user community. I guess vendors will most likely
>> jump
>> through any hoops such as adopting a new version with tighter
>> requirements because their customers are asking them to do so (and
>> not
>> because a certain TC is demanding something).
>
> Jeff, I fail to see why Sanjay's proposal is supposed to go into the
> wrong direction?!

Because following that path will make a product that was previously
conformant, non-conformant.
   So it creates an automatic constituency that would be opposed to
adding requirements.
It is always easier to relax conformance requirements than to
strengthen them.

> In my opinion the *opposite* is the case. I see broad agreement that
> the conformance requirements are too strict
     i don't see broad support - i see disagreement

-jeff

> and should be relaxed in future or in other words focus on SCA
> assembly model and don't require support for specific implementation
> types. The only question now from my point of view is whether
> certain form/ requirements on a document, describing how a
> proprietary implementation type maps into SCA's assembly model and
> provided by an SCA runtime implementer, should be defined and if how
> would they look like. The same for the test suite and license.
>
> So I see broad agreement on *what* we want to achieve and
> discussions on the form, the *how*.
> Sanjay's last proposal is just to do the first step without trying
> to define every bit of *how* upfront, see which practices proved
> themselves and were well received by the community and only in the
> next step set the requirements details in stone.
> This sounds like a fine evolutionary approach to me. Definitely
> better than do nothing and provide something in 2-3 years.
>
> In addition to what Sanjay described I'd also like the idea to
> release the documents started by Jeff Estefan / Mike Edwards as a
> recommendation / guideline in the first step.
>
> Another question before we continue the compromise discussions: Did
> somebody had a chance to look through the documents submitted by
> Jeff Estefan / Mike Edwards?
> These metaspecs were very probably extracted on the basis of
> existing SCA specs & test suites, so I'd suppose those comply
> already with the metaspecs without requiring much effort to make
> them do so. This would minimize extra work and delay in the 1.1 cycle.
>
> Just my 2c,
> Philipp

>>> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/sca-assembly/200910/msg00047.html
>>> [2]