Subject: RE: [sca-assembly] REOPEN ISSUES 132 and 149: Update to Sanjay'sProposal

Hi,

I agree with Sanjay and especially one of his last statements:
> By lowering the bar and inviting more entrants in the game now, I think
> we will be making the value proposition of the SCA standard more
> attractive to the user community. I guess vendors will most likely jump
> through any hoops such as adopting a new version with tighter
> requirements because their customers are asking them to do so (and not
> because a certain TC is demanding something).

Jeff, I fail to see why Sanjay's proposal is supposed to go into the wrong direction?!
In my opinion the *opposite* is the case. I see broad agreement that the conformance requirements are too strict and should be relaxed in future or in other words focus on SCA assembly model and don't require support for specific implementation types. The only question now from my point of view is whether certain form/ requirements on a document, describing how a proprietary implementation type maps into SCA's assembly model and provided by an SCA runtime implementer, should be defined and if how would they look like. The same for the test suite and license.

So I see broad agreement on *what* we want to achieve and discussions on the form, the *how*.
Sanjay's last proposal is just to do the first step without trying to define every bit of *how* upfront, see which practices proved themselves and were well received by the community and only in the next step set the requirements details in stone.
This sounds like a fine evolutionary approach to me. Definitely better than do nothing and provide something in 2-3 years.

In addition to what Sanjay described I'd also like the idea to release the documents started by Jeff Estefan / Mike Edwards as a recommendation / guideline in the first step.

Another question before we continue the compromise discussions: Did somebody had a chance to look through the documents submitted by Jeff Estefan / Mike Edwards?
These metaspecs were very probably extracted on the basis of existing SCA specs & test suites, so I'd suppose those comply already with the metaspecs without requiring much effort to make them do so. This would minimize extra work and delay in the 1.1 cycle.

Just my 2c,
Philipp