Subject: Re: [sca-assembly] Re: Moving to OpenOffice.org? (Was: [sca-assembly] Issue238 proposal v2)

Folks,

I wondered how long it would be before someone would point out that both PDF and HTML generation
is actually a TC Admin task in the new process.  ;-)

While I don't wish a load of extra work on TC Admin, I can play the selfish view that we in the TC generate
PDF lots (eg every issue resolution with an updated spec doc) while we generate HTML very little - if at
all in the new process. So, I'll take a toolset that does PDFs well over one that does HTML well....

PS Open Office wins hands down for me in one respect - the ability to edit 2 different pages of the same
document side-by-side, which MS Word can't do.  Why do we need to edit in that way?   Well, try the
editing process for Normative statements, where there is an inline piece and a piece in an Appendix,
with cross-references....

PPS... I note that one way to get a nice HTML from ODF is to save the ODF into a DOC format, then use
Word to read it and gen the HTML.  Generally, that works well.  Fine if HTML gen is an infrequent event...

Yours, Mike

Dr Mike Edwards  Mail Point 146, Hursley Park
Technical Strategist  Winchester, Hants SO21 2JN
SCA & Services Standards  United Kingdom
Co-Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC
IBM Software Group
Phone: +44-1962 818014
Mobile: +44-7802-467431 (274097)