Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 25: Does binding.ws imply SOAP

Folks,

Comments inline as <mje>...</mje>

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

Simon Holdsworth/UK/IBM@IBMGB

06/06/2008 11:28

"OASIS Bindings" <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 25: Does binding.ws imply SOAP

I think there may be more to binding.ws than purely being able to express things in WSDL.  Folks could reasonably expect that binding.ws would be the place where you would find support for WS-* defined capabilities, e.g. WS-RM, WS-AT, WS-Security etc., whereas you would not expect those to be available in binding.jms or binding.jca (or whatever else).  While none of these mandate SOAP, in practice they typically only have a SOAP binding standardised, so would not really be useable in the absence of SOAP.

<mje> I agree with this view.  <binding.ws/> IS where the use of WS-* specs would be expected to be found.
However, I am wary of saying that <bindng.ws/> implementations MUST support particular WS-* specifications,
due to the wide range of implementations and devices that we're looking to support.

I could live with a requirement to support WS-I Basic Profile, and, if supporting Security features at all, a requirement
to support WS-I Basic Security Profile - but I note that this implies support for HTTP and SOAP is required....
</mje>

I'm pretty much in agreement with Mike's list below, however I do feel that a stronger statement is required for use of binding.ws - that all implementations that support binding.ws MUST support the use of the binding.ws element with no WSDL document, and therefore MUST support SOAP 1.1 or 1.2 and MUST support HTTP.  Otherwise the capability of the binding becomes more vague and SCA runtime vendors will end up having to define a profile that defines which aspects of binding.ws are supported and which are not.  Having said that there will always have to be such a profile that defines what WSDL bindings are supported and which are not.  Ideally in many cases developers should just be able to say <binding.ws/> when exposing web service endpoints, and know that this will be supported on the target SCA runtime in a way that is interoperable with SCA references that also use <binding.ws/>.

<mje> I agree that there is a tension here and that maybe we should give interop a higher level of importance than flexibility.

I was thinking of the case where you have a JMS implementation that supports SOAP over JMS.  That looks like it can support
<binding.ws/> - unless there is also a requirement that you support SOAP over HTTP too, which then drags in the need for an
HTTP stack too.  In which case you have to build a hybrid binding implementation that combines the 2 stacks, which bulks the
code.  Maybe we need a "plugin" design for the implementation of <binding.ws/> to permit different underlying protocols to be
plugged in as desired.

I am also noodling about the REST case.  That may best be handled by <binding.rest/> or <binding.http/> or whatever - there
is no guarantee of a WSDL in these cases (WADL or no interface description???).  If this is the case, then we don't need to
bend <binding.ws/> to accommodate it....

</mje>

If we don't take this approach we could end up with a situation where the JMS binding is more interoperable than the WS binding ;-)

Regards, Simon

Simon Holdsworth
STSM, SCA Bindings Architect; Master Inventor; OASIS SCA Bindings TC Chair
MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley Park, Winchester SO21 2JN, UK
Tel +44-1962-815059 (Internal 245059) Fax +44-1962-816898
Internet - Simon_Holdsworth@uk.ibm.com

Mike Edwards/UK/IBM@IBMGB

02/06/2008 08:52

"OASIS Bindings" <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 25: Does binding.ws imply SOAP

Folks,

I agree with the general direction advocated here:

1) <binding.ws/> implies a WSDL-related binding

2) <binding.ws/> SHOULD imply a SOAP binding

3) <binding.ws/> WITHOUT an explicitly supplied WSDL MUST support SOAP & HTTP

4) An implementation of binding.ws MAY implement a limited subset of WSDL bindings - and the list of supported
bindings MAY exclude SOAP and MAY exclude HTTP

5) SOAP support, when present, MUST include EITHER SOAP 1.1 OR soap 1.2, both preferably...

I also agree with the need to have a RESTful binding.

Who would like to work on a spec for such a binding? (I'm looking for volunteers)

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

Bryan Aupperle <aupperle@us.ibm.com>

30/05/2008 16:27

sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
[sca-bindings] Issue 25: Does binding.ws imply SOAP

I was persuaded by Simon N.'s comment about keeping binding.ws as flexible as possible, but I also recognize the interoperability concern.  Following from that, I believe that we could reasonably take the following position:

- binding.ws requires an interface described by WSDL (either explicitly or implicitly) with no restriction on WSDL binding from an SCA standpoint.  Any given implementation MAY limit the WSDL bindings it supports

- A new binding (binding.http?) is needed for RESTful interfaces that are not described with WSDL - as Anish pointed out use of WSDL is objectionable to many REST supporters.

This does waken the concept that binding.ws is guaranteed to be interoperable since we no longer know that a SOAP binding is provided, but I believe that if we have the alternative binding that a significant percentage of the binding.ws implementations would support a SOAP binding.  If we wanted to be clear about this we could state that implementations of binding.ws SHOULD support a SOAP binding.

Bryan Aupperle, Ph.D.
STSM, WebSphere Enterprise Platform Software Solution Architect

Research Triangle Park,  NC
+1 919-254-7508 (T/L 444-7508)
Internet Address: aupperle@us.ibm.com