Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] [Issue 2] Scope of our charter and ws-callback[was: Proposal version 3: How to implement SCA callbacks using SOAP]

David Booz wrote:
> Thanks again Anish. I still don't buy your argument about charter scope
> WRT normative text, but we can put that aside for a moment.

Starting a different thread (with a different subject) so as to not mix
the technical and scope arguments.

I checked the charter [1]. It does say the following:
"Note that the list of out-of-scope features and mechanisms is not
exhaustive. In general, areas that are not explicitly listed as within
the scope should be considered as out-of-scope."

So, for something like ws-callback to be in scope, it (the
functionality) has to be explicitly listed in the charter.

In the scope section it says:
"The TC will not explore areas with general applicability and for which
typically standards exist."

WS-Callback is of general applicability, but there isn't a standard
around. There is a spec [2] for it, but it has been superseded by
WS-Addressing W3C Recommendation. This sentence in itself doesn't put
ws-callback in scope, but the charter goes on to say:

"For each binding specification, the TC shall identify the applicable
subset and specify solutions accordingly."

and then goes on to list a bunch of things that are in scope. One of
which is:

"Support for bi-directional and conversational interfaces (as defined in
the SCA Assembly specification)"

This arguably puts this in scope. Interpretation may of course differ. I
think, if the TC really wants to do this there are ways of clarifying
the charter.

My opinion is that, if we want to do this, we should do this right:
create a separate spec that specifies the protocol and the metadata
(WSDL extensibility, WS-Policy) associated with it. There is nothing
about it that is SCA specific. I don't see why we would not want this to
interop with other non-SCA systems. For interop (within SCA or outside
of SCA), the spec needs to be well-defined and not a spec by example.
Decoupling it from the SCA spec sends the right message to the WS
community and will receive review from the right people. Burying a WS-*
spec (which is really what we are writing, independent of whether it
appears in some appendix or a standalone spec) in an SCA binding spec
when it is not SCA-specific will mean that lot of WS-Heads will miss it
and is an under-the-radar way of getting a WS-* spec out. I would
propose that we should either do it as a separate spec or not do it at
all. I do understand the schedule argument and I don't think we need to
put this spec on the same schedule as the rest of the SCA specs.

My 2 cents.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/sca-bindings/charter.php
[2]
http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-ws-messagedelivery-20040426/#callback-pattern