Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] [Issue 2] Scope of our charter and ws-callback [was: Proposalversion 3: How to implement SCA callbacks using SOAP]

Folks,

My opinions on this:

1) I believe that it is in scope to deal with this Issue within the SCA TCs and that Anish's proposal meets the criteria for being in scope also.
Anish picks out the relevant parts of the charter below.  I certainly envisaged the use of existing mechanisms in SCA-specific ways as
being part of what the bindings TCs would do - hence the specific wording about callbacks and conversations.

2) I believe that this specification can and should define what is necessary to enable callbacks to work over Web services.

3) I don't think that this TC should get engaged in a "WS-Callback" specification.
I can agree that such a specification might be useful to the wider web services community, but I don't agree that this TC is the venue
to create and standardize such a specification.

Yours,  Mike.

Co Chair OASIS SCA Assembly TC.
Phone & FAX: +44-1962-818014    Mobile: +44-7802-467431
Email:  mike_edwards@uk.ibm.com

From: Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>
To: David Booz <booz@us.ibm.com>
Cc: sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 06/11/2008 07:00

David Booz wrote:
> Thanks again Anish. I still don't buy your argument about charter scope
> WRT normative text, but we can put that aside for a moment.

Starting a different thread (with a different subject) so as to not mix
the technical and scope arguments.

I checked the charter [1]. It does say the following:
"Note that the list of out-of-scope features and mechanisms is not
exhaustive. In general, areas that are not explicitly listed as within
the scope should be considered as out-of-scope."

So, for something like ws-callback to be in scope, it (the
functionality) has to be explicitly listed in the charter.

In the scope section it says:
"The TC will not explore areas with general applicability and for which
typically standards exist."

WS-Callback is of general applicability, but there isn't a standard
around. There is a spec [2] for it, but it has been superseded by
WS-Addressing W3C Recommendation. This sentence in itself doesn't put
ws-callback in scope, but the charter goes on to say:

"For each binding specification, the TC shall identify the applicable
subset and specify solutions accordingly."

and then goes on to list a bunch of things that are in scope. One of
which is:

"Support for bi-directional and conversational interfaces (as defined in
the SCA Assembly specification)"

This arguably puts this in scope. Interpretation may of course differ. I
think, if the TC really wants to do this there are ways of clarifying
the charter.

My opinion is that, if we want to do this, we should do this right:
create a separate spec that specifies the protocol and the metadata
(WSDL extensibility, WS-Policy) associated with it. There is nothing
about it that is SCA specific. I don't see why we would not want this to
interop with other non-SCA systems. For interop (within SCA or outside
of SCA), the spec needs to be well-defined and not a spec by example.
Decoupling it from the SCA spec sends the right message to the WS
community and will receive review from the right people. Burying a WS-*
spec (which is really what we are writing, independent of whether it
appears in some appendix or a standalone spec) in an SCA binding spec
when it is not SCA-specific will mean that lot of WS-Heads will miss it
and is an under-the-radar way of getting a WS-* spec out. I would
propose that we should either do it as a separate spec or not do it at
all. I do understand the schedule argument and I don't think we need to
put this spec on the same schedule as the rest of the SCA specs.

My 2 cents.

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/sca-bindings/charter.php
[2]