Subject: Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 2: proposal v11

Just so that I'm clear, is it true that any given:

[HTTP req msg + MC] --> Service

could be answered by any one of:

[HTTP res msg + callback req] <-- Service

OR

[HTTP res msg (2xx) + empty entity body] <-- Service

The response for req msg is ONLY obtained by: what's in the ???? empty body+MC headers? Same as first message?

[HTTP req msg + ????] --> Service
[HTTP res msg (2xx) + resp msg] <-- Service

Dave Booz
STSM, BPM and SCA Architecture
Poughkeepsie, NY (845)-435-6093 or 8-295-6093
e-mail:booz@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Anish Karmarkar ---03/05/2009 04:11:13 AM---Simon Nash wrote: > See comments inline.Anish Karmarkar ---03/05/2009 04:11:13 AM---Simon Nash wrote: > See comments inline.

Anish Karmarkar <Anish.Karmarkar@oracle.com>

Simon Nash <oasis@cjnash.com>

OASIS Bindings <sca-bindings@lists.oasis-open.org>

03/05/2009 04:11 AM

Re: [sca-bindings] Issue 2: proposal v11

Simon Nash wrote:
> See comments inline.
>
>   Simon
>
> Anish Karmarkar wrote:
>> Eric Johnson wrote:
>>> There's one point that I tripped on.  At the very end, with the example
>>> using "WS-MakeConnection", you say:
>>>
>>> "3) Callback request message (from the service to the reference) sent as
>>> a “response” to MakeConnection" - Doesn't it need to be simply "callback
>>> message (from the ..." - I don't see an opportunity for a
>>> request/response exchange here."
>>>

>> The reason "response" is in quotes is because this would be a response
>> at the transport/transfer protocol level. When using HTTP, the
>> MakeConnection SOAP messages is sent with the HTTP request, the SCA
>> callback request message is sent back on the HTTP response.
>>
>>> Do we need to flag, at the first introduction of WS-MakeConnection, that
>>> it can only be used for one-way operations on the callback interface?
>>>

>> It can be used with a WSDL req-response operation on the callback
>> interface. This is similar to how WSDL req-res operation works when
>> the wsa:ReplyTo is non-anonymous. In the case of req-res SCA callback
>> operation, the message exchange will consists of 2 separate HTTP
>> connection as follows:
>>
>> 1.1) Reference --> [HTTP req msg + MC] --> Service
>> 1.2) Reference <-- [HTTP res msg + callback req] <-- Service
>>
>> 2.1) Reference --> [HTTP req msg + callback res] --> Service
>  >
> How does the service know that this message contains a callback response
> rather than a new service request?

The payload should tell the service that.
Plus you have wsa:Action wsa:RelatesTo and wsa:RefPs.

>> 2.2) Reference <-- [HTTP res msg (2xx) + empty entity body] <-- Service
>>
> What if the original service request is request/response?  This messsage
> would need to carry the response to that request, not an empty entity body.
> Is this possible?

Not when using WS-MC.
The original service request's wsa:ReplyTo will have to be respected.
That wsa:ReplyTo would be a WS-MC anonymous, which would require the
service to send the response to the original request as a response to a
MC request.

> Another possibility is that the service sends a second callback request.
> I presume this is OK, and that it would be addressed to the same
> MC endpoint as the first callback request.

Yes, in theory.
But in practice, this would be an interop nightmare, I would think. The
reference component would have to expect such a piggy-backed 2nd
callback request and process it. Since this wasn't a HTTP response to a
MC request, it may not have expected this message and may not process it.

> To clarify what happens for all these cases, I think we need to add some
> interaction flow diagrams (similar to the above) for all the one-way and
> req-res combinations.

Hmm. I don't know, since we don't write WS-* specs (although we do write
specs that walk and quack like it), don't you think having the
WS-Callback stuff be longer than the binding.ws part would be a problem? ;-)