sdd message

Subject: Requirement 2.1.1.6.1

All,

I had an issue with 2.1.1.6.1, because it implied the SDD author could mandate the circumstances under which their component should be rolled-back or not. There are typically wider considerations which need to be taken into account about whether to rollback or reinstall failed components or - e.g. is this a test or a production system? What role does the component play in the solution? Where am I in the maintenance window? etc. I agree the SDD has to provide any inherent information needed to support making good decisions about rollback, although I am unclear exactly what those are beyond information we already have (dependencies, optional components, targets). I'd be OK with Debra's proposal, to make sure we consider rollback requirements - I think it will need us to do more work to agree what is really needed, when we get onto the specification...!

DEBRA's PROPOSAL

2.1.1.6.1 The SDD specification must support identification of components that should be rolled back if later components fail, and identification of components that should cause an overall rollback if that component fails to install.

ORIGINAL

2.1.1.6.1 The SDD specification must support the definition of whether a component of their package should be rolled back if later components fail, and whether a particular component should cause an overall rollback if it fails to install.

Regards,
Christine

Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM, 11501 Burnet Road, Mail Point 901-6B10
Austin, TX 78758
1-512-838-3482 tl 678-3482