search-ws-comment message

Subject: Re: [search-ws-comment] searchRetrieve Accept Parameters

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Hammond, Tony<t.hammond@nature.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim:
>
>> I think I'm starting to see the dilemma.  OpenSearch has a descriptor
>> with a Url element that allows it to express "this link is a
>> 'text/html' representation" via its "type" element, whereas, SRU only
>> has a URL - leaving less expressive flexibility.  But the equivalent
>
> Presumably the place to include this is in the Explain record which is the
> counterpart of the OpenSearch Description?

Yeah, I haven't reviewed Explain in depth but it definitely appears to
be the best place in the SRU family so far.

> That said, and it does seem a good idea to me, I would still maintain that a
> simple parameter for selecting media type is a useful fallback for clients
> that do not (or are unable or unwilling) to tangle with HTTP headers.
> There's a lot to be said for self-describing URLs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm supportive of urls that give some indication
of the format - and most implementors will likely expose different
formats via different URI patterns (its a little easier to dispatch on
anyway), the question is only whether that should be a part of the
spec or not - and I suggest not.

btw, is there an updated Explain draft?  All I can find is on the LOC
site so far.

Thanks,
--tim