security-core message

Subject: RE: Assertion Validation Service

Let us break this down, in doing so note that the use cases glossary is
surely wong in its definition of logout.

Alice has assigned to her some long term credential.
	This may entail authentication by means of a password or
	proof of possesion of a private key.

Alice enters into some authentication protocol
	As a result of which a short term access token is
	issued, or short term credential.

'Authorizations are attached to Alice via an assertion'
	The exact mode by which this occurs is not relevant.
	How the authorizations bind to alice is relevant however.

1) The assertions may bind to the name 'Alice'
	In this case the auth assertions exist independently of
	an authentication session Alice may have established.

2) The assertions may bind to the long term credential
	In this case too the auth assertions are independent
	of any session

3) The assertions bind to the short term credential in which
	case the assertions fall when the credential does.

At present we can support any of and all of these models.
There are advantages and disadvantages in each case.

The concept of 'log-in' and 'log-out' are not intrinsically
distributed events. In the case where the long term credential
is a public key authentication they map to availability or not
of the private key which is intrinsically a local matter.

I don't think it is the place of a standards committee to set
security policy. The length of time for which assertions may
be cached is not something this committee should be deciding,
the provision of a mechanism which allows the length of time
to be specified on the other hand is in scope.

Phillip Hallam-Baker FBCS C.Eng.
Principal Scientist
VeriSign Inc.
pbaker@verisign.com