security-jc message

Subject: RE: [security-jc] TCs joining JC - was: Meeting tomorrow

I think we should be more deliberate in how we invite TCs to join the JC. My
expectation was that this would only apply to security related TCs. Note
that the new Oasis rules are a bit more "onerous" with regard to the
operation of JCs. In particular, if a member TC decides to drop out of the
JC - then the JC is disbanded. A new JC can be created with a similar
charter, but it will need to go through the startup phase again.

From section 1. (o) TC Coordination

"If a still-existing TC in breach of its obligation to contribute to a JC
fails to appoint a liaison subcommittee within the time stated, then all
activities and mailing lists of that JC shall cease until its successor, if
any, can be organized according to the provisions for starting a JC. "

Also from section 1. (o) in defining the admission of a TC to a JC:

"A TC shall be added to or removed from the set of TCs contributing to a JC
only upon joint resolution of all of the participating TCs."

Joe Pato                                Hewlett Packard Labs
Principal Scientist                     1 Cambridge Center, 11th Floor
Trust, Security & Privacy               Cambridge, MA   02142
Trusted Systems Lab - HP Labs           Phone: (617) 551-7648
<mailto:joe.pato@hp.com>                HP Telnet: 857-2774
<http://www.hpl.hp.com>                 Fax 1: (617) 551-7650
<http://www.hp.com/security>            Fax 2: (781) 674-0142