Subject: Re: New Name !

At 01:20 PM 1/23/01 -0800, Krishna Sankar wrote:
>         Here are my thoughts on the new name:
>         1.      We could add the word eXchange somewhere in the name to
> make it more clear that our mission in life is exchange security info.
>         2.      Like many pointed out, Authentication could imply more
> stuff. Generic Security Services will make our work extensible to other
> required areas.
>         3.      I do not believe in restricting to auth and
> authorization, in the
>future.
>         3.      My humble suggestion is "Security Services eXchange
> Markup Language"
>cheers and happy new year (It is the eve of the Chinese New year here in
>Singapore)
>         Remember "Rose by any other names smells as sweet"

I don't want to express an opinion here on "security" services vs.
something more specific, but Krishna's suggestion reminded me of something:

I think the world is getting very tired of n-letter acronyms, and I strive
to find interesting words/names for my projects that don't have to be
spelled in all caps.  If the expansion were something like "Security
Services eXchange [Markup Language]", the short form could be "Sussex"...

         Eve
--
Eve Maler                                          +1 781 442 3190
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    eve.maler @ east.sun.com