Subject: RE: [security-services] removal of AttributeValueType still an is sue

Title: RE: [security-services] removal of AttributeValueType still an issue

Apologies to all, because I haven't followed this debate as closely as I should have.  I, personally, see advantage in a scheme that would have attributes in assertion instances actually tagged with the attribute type, rather than tagged simply "attributeValue" and qualified by an xsi-type attribute.  Presumably, a substitution group would achieve this.  Can anyone see disadvantages to this approach?  All the best.  Tim.

Tim Moses
Tel: 613.270.3183

-----Original Message-----
From: RL 'Bob' Morgan [mailto:rlmorgan@washington.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 6:23 PM
To: OASIS Security Services TC
Subject: [security-services] removal of AttributeValueType still an
issue

So, despite the fact that the change below (removing AttributeValueType
and defining AttributeValue as anyType) has been agreed upon multiple
times, core-25 still specifies an AttributeValueType.

It may be that Hal intended issue [DS-4-08: anyAtttribute], which is
marked as open, to describe this issue, but that description doesn't
include the precise fix that Chris proposed in his message, to which all
interested parties appear to have agreed.

I am becoming frustrated by how difficult it has been to get this resolved
and into the core spec (or, discussed if anyone wants to argue against
it).  We're trying to decide on the use of AttributeValues right now in
Shib and we need this schema to be resolved.

 - RL "Bob"

---