Subject: Re: [security-services] Groups - authentication-context.pdf uploaded

Tony,

On Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003, at 22:09 US/Eastern, Anthony Nadalin wrote:

> John,
>
>> I think there are subtle differences between authentication method,
> authentication context, and what I will call authentication context
> policy:
>
> Basically you have the right direction, you may have missed the point
> that
> the domain specific policies in WS-Policy can be attestations, thus
> policy
> can attest to authentication method and form the authentication
> context.

 From this I gather that you agree that there is a place for
authentication context in SAML, and that it may be distinct from
authentication method. Certainly there is more information in
authentication context than authentication method (a
MobileTwoFactorContract context expresses that authentication methods
were used in the context of a mobile phone contract, for example).

A separate question might be whether there is some overlap between the
Authentication Context specification and WS-Policy. At this point, I
don't know if that question is being addressed within SSTC.

- JohnK