Subject: Re: [security-services] Liberty IPR Issues (was: Liberty ID-FF 1. 2 submissionto the SSTC)

Michael McIntosh wrote on 11/28/2003, 10:23 AM:

The WSS authors explicitly granted "royalty-free and other reasonable and non-discriminatory terms and conditions" for IP they owned that they determined to be required for implementation of WSS. Since OASIS was standardizing the WSS specification, it was clear that those terms would apply to the resulting standard produced by OASIS.
I do not see any explicit grant within the IPR statement in WSS.  There is a "commit to grant" and not a grant.  The "commit"  applies to what is necessary to implement what is in the contributed specification, not an open grant to anything that may show up as a product of the TC.

There is no identification of the IP involved, nor what portions of the contributed specification that it may apply to, etc.

Note that I am not at all faulting the WSS IPR grant, just pointing out that such a "level" of IPR statement about a contribution has been accepted by many of the same companies on this TC and therefore we shouldn't be demanding a higher, more detailed IPR statement since that level of statement clearly allowed the WSS TC to complete their tasks.

Conor