Subject: RE: [security-services] AI #88 - AuthnContext clarification

> When embedded in metadata (and it could be done through any of the three
> mechanisms you identity below) the authentication context would be a
logical
> boast by the IDP along the lines of 'I can do this'. When embedded within
> particular assertion, its 'I did this'.

But am I correct that the metadata schema in ID-FF doesn't include this? Or
did I just overlook it?

> Actually, some classes are more specific. For instance the Password class
> requires that the password be 3 characters or greater.

Ah, I missed that, thanks.

> Additionally, context classes, although lablelled by their authentication
> mechanisms, do specify information beyond that listed in SAML's
> AuthenticationMethod.

Yes, but what I meant by that comment was that in general a SAML Auth Method
seems to just say "this is a broad label for the kind of stuff we did" and
that seems to match what the classes say, kind of. Maybe it's a stretch.

> I think of the class ref as a ahorthand for the actual context statement,
if
> both are included the IDP is saying 'here are the details if you're
> interested, if not, here is the reader's digest version.

Except that the class ref is a fixed URI that won't vary based on the actual
statement's contents, right? So it's not really a condensed version but more
like a signal that the statement itself is condensed from the full syntax
possible.