Subject: Re: [security-services] Re: Last-call drafts and call for reviewnow available on website

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Karl F. Best wrote:

> My concern is that the TC has invented a new, extra-procedural step
> named "last call". This is very confusing, both to people who are
> acquainted with the OASIS process and won't know where this fits, as
> well as to people who will confuse this with the W3C process.

Let me note that the SSTC "committee last call" under discussion is
exactly analogous to the very well-known "working group last call" process
in the IETF; in fact it's probably based on that originally as several of
us are old IETF hands.  So anyone familiar with that process will be
comfortable.

Let me also note that I've recently seen other OASIS TCs announce with
some fanfare that a spec is "finished and ready for public use" when it
has reached CD status, prior to any wider OASIS approval.  So there is
much opportunity for confusion.

 - RL "Bob"