Subject: RE: Resend: ISSUE:[UC-8-0*:Intermediaries*]

I think these documents re-enforce my belief that we should keep the rules
for altering assertions as simple as possible. If we provide a lot of
complex add, subtract, modify functionality, given the variety of
configurations and applications that will be supported in the XP world, it
is a near certainty that somebody will misuse SAML in a way that creates
security risks. Even stating the security considerations will be difficult.

If the rule is: Authorities create immutable Assertions, other Authorities
can add their own Assertions, anybody can discard an Assertion, then it will
be easy to understand and hard to misuse. Does anyone have a specific use
case that this breaks?

Supporting a more complex scheme will also complicate the design and
implementation. Likely every assertion will have to sign every component
individually, just in case somebody wants to remove one of them. Its usually
not a good idea to make the common simple case complex in order to
accomodate rarely used functionality.

The other issue about Intermediaries is controlled delegation. I don't
remember if it was after Dave left, but at the F2F I deliberately asked
about delegation in the hope of provoking the reaction I got. Bob Blakely
commented "Delegation is the spawn of the devil." I agree with Bob, although
perhaps not for exactly the same reasons. Most people who have been down
that road also have scars.

Finally as to the XP design itself. It looks to me like they are digging
themselves a big hole. It seems like they are not only designing an
application protocol, but also reimplementing TCP. Maybe you just convinced
me to vote for a SOAP binding. ;-)

Hal