Subject: RE: ISSUE:[UC-2-05: MarketPlace]

Evan,

> Lastly, issues that have been voted and had no conclusion (no
> resolution was chosen with the 75% margin) are marked "Voted, No
> Resolution," and the voting results are posted in the Issues List. We
> decided after the first round of voting that these could be re-stated
> and re-sent to the subcommittee by concerned champions. That's what
> happened with issue group 3, for example.

Right, so we went from 5-5 on many things to either 9-2 or 8-3.  Trend
indicates 100% would be reached with another ballot after continued
discussion, IFF the use case team continued.

> I believe Darren is going to be presenting the list of
> voted-but-unresolved issues at the F2F.

Excellent, that's what I think Zahid and I were asking.

>     OD> I agree very much with Zahid's questioning on the voting
>     OD> results.  Some of the session issues had an even higher
>     OD> percentage of votes, at 8-3 but 73% didn't meet the 75%.  It
>     OD> seems strange that we just drop the issue if it makes meager
>     OD> 73% of the votes.
>
> It seems strange, but it is the number we all agreed to. If you
> recall, the question was how we could use voting to show consensus --
> a strong super-majority seemed like the best way to do there. 75% was
> a compromise value, btw -- some people wanted 85-90%.

I recall those facts.  We have also since discovered some of the
difficulties that the balloting approach has gotten us into.  This is an
example as we don't know whether the no ballots are strong or weak Nos.  If
they are weak nos, then we might actually have consensus - defined as
everybody can live with the particular issue.

> Sessions are a special case -- we've actually balloted that issue
> group twice. Can we really say we've just "dropped" those issues?

Darren presenting the list of issues to the f2f is exactly what I was
thinking.

Dave Orchard
XML Architect
Jamcracker Inc.,    19000 Homestead Dr., Cupertino, CA 95014
p: 408.864.5118     m: 604.908.8425    f: 408.725.4310

www.jamcracker.com - Sounds like a job for Jamcracker.