Subject: Re: [soa-rm-ra] Registries and Repositories

Service Registries act as pointers to metadata that describe the service.
They fulfill many aspects of the SOA metamodel including the visibility (by
making the service endpoints findable to the consumer), pointing at
artifacts that contain the metadata for things like the service policy, the
service description and other things.  Holding the code that makes the
service run is not something one would normally employ a registry/repository
for.

The repository is not as simple as it at first seems.  Many people have a
perception that a repository is one "thing" when in fact, the artifacts
might be de-centralized.  For example, the registry might hold a static copy
of a WSDL in resident memory via an internal repository, but it might point
at an extrinsic artifact for the service policy which resides on a different
system.  While this is nice in terms of a dynamic system that can facilitate
some aspects of late binding (simple changes like ports, URL's, SOAP
versions etc.), it also introduces a problem of synchronization between the
registry and the repository.  The registry might not be notified if an
extrinsic objects changes state.  This could be solved using a mechanism
like  WS-Eventing.

I have many sets of slides available for download at www.nickull.net on the
subject (including ISO 11179, UDDI and ebXML Registry) if anyone wants to
read up on the topic.

Duane

On 12/4/06 8:09 AM, "Chiusano, Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com> wrote:

> More thoughts:
>
> So the registry would store metadata that describes service artifacts,
> which are stored in a repository. Service artifacts can also be
> considered types of IT artifacts.
>
> Joe
>
> Joseph Chiusano
> Associate
>
> Booz | Allen | Hamilton
>
> 700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
> Washington, DC 20005
> O: 202-508-6514
> C: 202-251-0731
> Visit us online@ http://www.boozallen.com

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.       *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee*
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                *