Subject: Re: [soa-rm] Reference Model References (Was RE: [soa-rm] Groups- Rough notes taken during the last ebSOA meeting.(ebSOA-Elements.pdf)uploaded)

Comments inline:

At 7:25 AM -0500 3/31/05, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
>  > It would be helpful if we had abstract reference model
>>  documents of existing architectures in order to answer this
>>  question and to fully explain what distinguishes SOA.
>
>Here are 2 that come to mind (note that #1 below is intended to be a SOA
>RM, according to its description):
>
>(1) http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2005-03-25-a.html
>
>Announced 03/25/05: "The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has released a
>review draft Version 3.0 for its Enterprise Technical Reference Model
>(ETRM). The six-part document introduces Disciplines, Technology Areas,
>and Technology Specifications for the Information, Application,
>Integration and Security Domains. The ETRM calls for the development of
>a SOA model built around interoperable XML specifications, including the
>adoption of open formats, defined as necessarily "royalty-free.""

(1) is very useful when considered along with the Reference Model
Examples Duane recently posted, for a direct comparison of "abstract"
v. "concrete" where the Massachusetts example above demonstrates
existing work in the production of a "concrete" specification or
application while ITA Reference Model demonstrates a relatively short
and concise demonstration of an "abstract" foundation and the RCS
Reference Model demonstrates a more thorough, and in that sense a
more domain-specific (Revision/Version Control) example of RM
abstraction in the extent that it requires greater depth and
specifically introduces one of several choices we will have to
consider in regard to Architecture Description Languages (ADLs)
beyond others such as OWL versions and UML modeling techniques, but
those are other threads.

>(2) SCORM: http://xml.coverpages.org/scorm.html

(2) is also useful as another domain-specific RM, in this case a
significantly narrow, content-specific domain RM (Shareable
Courseware).

>Kind Regards,
>Joseph Chiusano
>Booz Allen Hamilton