Subject: Service-Orientation, SOA, RM vs. RA, etc.: Suggestion To Bring Us Closer Together

Duane,

I would like to make a suggestion to help clear up the current division in our TC on some basic issues, which I believe is truly inhibiting our ability to move forward in a unified way - and will continue to do so unless we address it at this time.

The most prominent division that I have perceived over the course of several weeks is: "If we are defining a reference model, what is it for? Is it for a single service? (call this "service-orientation") or SOA?" IOW, "Is it SO-RM, or SOA-RM?"

The second most prominent division that I have perceived over the course of several weeks is: "Where is the line drawn between RM and RA?". Last week I began a thread[1] on this question, and I thank all who contributed (Matt, Duane, Ken, Rex, Francis, any others I missed). However, I think we really need to drill down into this question more and have a crystal clear answer before we go any farther, else run the risk of creating an RM that cannot easily "bridge to" an RA.

So, I would like to propose a solution:

I would like to propose that we take an informal poll (not a formal vote) across the TC as a "pulse check" that will enable us to come closer together on these vital issues. The poll would be comprised of the following questions (folks would simply put an "*" to the left of the letter of their response):

<Questions>
(1) Do you believe that the RM in our current draft is:

A. A service-orientation reference model
B. A SOA reference model
C. Other

(2) If the answer to #1 was A: Do you believe that the current scope of the RM is what the scope should be for our finished product? (i.e. no need to expand or contract)

A. Yes
B. No
C: Not sure

(3) If the answer to #1 was C: How would you describe our RM?

Answer here:_____________________________________________

(4) If the answer to #2 was B: Please describe why you believe our current RM is for SOA, but its scope is not correct.

Answer here:_____________________________________________
</Questions>

And I've already figured out how we can interpret the responses, based on combinations of responses for questions #1 and #2 (note that "A/A" means the response for both question #1 and #2 was A):

A/A:  "I’m fine – proceed as is."

A/B:  "We need to expand the scope of the current RM, and I have provided more details in question #4."

A/C:  "I’m confused and need help."

B (N/A for question #2)"I’m fine – proceed as is."

C (N/A for question #2)"I think our current RM describes neither nor service orientation nor SOA, and I have provided more details in question #3."

What are your thoughts on disseminating this as a pulse check?

Thanks,
Joe

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/soa-rm/200505/msg00207.html

Kind Regards,