Subject: Re: [soa-rm] David Linthicum Says: "ESB versus Fabric.Stop It!"

Chiusano Joseph wrote:

>Which brings us back to what I believe is the single most important
>question for us to answer: Does one service constitute a SOA? Or are 2
>or more services required?

An SOA infrastructure (constrained by a specific SOA) will *probably*
have more than one service.  A Reference Model for SOA *will* only have
one service expressed, in alignment with other reference models.  We can
still demonstrate in appendix B the realtionship between these two
things.  Doing so would be prudent IMO.

>If 2 or more services are required, then it seems to me that in order to
>call something a *SOA* reference model, the notion of multiple services
>must be incorporated - as that is the minimal amount of information
>necessary to *effectively* represent/model the "targeted entity" (which
>is SOA) for the intended audience.
>
>If one service constitutes a SOA, this implies that a SOA may have more
>than one service. It then seems to me that one has a choice for their
>RM: include only a single service in the model, or include multiple
>services. The question then becomes which approach enables the most
>effective representation for the intended audience.
>
>So as you see, I believe everything flows from this single most
>important question.

Which has been answered many times in the same manner I believe.  RM has
one, RA or other specific archtiectures CAN have more than one, but do
not have to to be conformant with the RM.