Subject: RE: [soa-rm] Random Thought: Capability-Oriented Architecture (COA)

Joe,

not sure this would really make sense.  One of the benefits, or purposes, of SOA is that it allows you to architect around capabilities - i.e., creating an architecture that maps capabililites more closely to the business needs.   I suppose one could argue that a COA is a more abstract thing than a SOA - just focusing on the capabilities and leaving out the advertising and execution context, etc.  On the other hand, maybe COA is really just one of the steps in creating a SOA.

I and some colleagues have written a paper on tailoring DoDAF for SOA - which emphasises the alignment of the operational needs with automated (and manual) capabilities.  In this case, in the process of creating a SOA you create a COA.

From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 8:42 AM
To: soa-rm@lists.oasis-open.org

In reviewing our latest draft, a thought occurred to me - so I thought I'd send it to the list, not with the intention of starting a thread, but just to put it out there in general:

Given our emphasis on capabilities, I wonder if there could be merit to the notion of a Capability-Oriented Architecture (COA), that encompasses services and more. A capability could be comprised of one or more services.

This could be a term that implies thinking even broader than services when architecting solutions.

Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton

700 13th St. NW, Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20005