stdsreg message

Subject: Re: [stdsreg] Metadata Specification v2.8

John
> I can see the problem with these JTC1/ISO standards, but generally
speaking
> in Europe these co-designations are co-ordinated.  Thus, the BSI reference
> BS EN ISO 128-21:2001 is an identical British, CEN and ISO standard
numbered
> identically.  On the other hand, this seems to break down in some cases,
> presumably where a national standard has been published before the
> international version has been numbered.  An example again from BSI is BS
> 5766-22:2001, BS EN ISO 14181:2001, which are certainly catalogued as the
> same publication.

The problem with

> ISO 17799:2000/BSI 7799-1:1999 Code of practice for information security
> management

is actually more subtle than this. Only one part of the national standard
has been published, at a later date, as an ISO standard. The second part of
the national standard is not recognized by ISO. So the example is no
co-ordinated. Yes, BSI has a co-designation for all ISO standards: No, ISO
does not recognize all British standards, or all parts of British standards
it adopts!

Martin