stdsreg message

Subject: RE: [stdsreg] Metadata Specification v2.8

Martin

I can see the problem with these JTC1/ISO standards, but generally speaking
in Europe these co-designations are co-ordinated.  Thus, the BSI reference
BS EN ISO 128-21:2001 is an identical British, CEN and ISO standard numbered
identically.  On the other hand, this seems to break down in some cases,
presumably where a national standard has been published before the
international version has been numbered.  An example again from BSI is BS
5766-22:2001, BS EN ISO 14181:2001, which are certainly catalogued as the
same publication.

There is unfortunately perhaps another small obscurity to look at, in that
under CENELEC's Dresden Agreement with IEC, CENELEC may publish versions of
IEC standards with local European deltas as European Standards (and these
are then republished as national standards), but I believe they keep the
same numbering series!  Thus BS EN 60118-14:1998, IEC 60118-14:1998 may or
may not be identical in the British/European and IEC versions.   I suppose
this has to be recognized somewhere in the meta-data itself.

Thankfully, the European and national versions in Europe are always
identical (a legal requirement is that national bodies must withdraw
conflicting national standards where a European Standard has been agreed).

Best regards
John Ketchell
Director, CEN/ISSS - Information Society Standardization System

URL:http://www.cenorm.be/isss

Rue de Stassart, 36	email (direct) john.ketchell@cenorm.be
B-1050 Brussels	email (secretariat) isss@cenorm.be
Belgium	                        Tel (direct) + 32 2 550 08 46
Fax + 32 2 550 09 66	Tel (secretariat) + 32 2 550 08 13
Tel (GSM) +32 475 594 828