tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] Proposal: Providing Decentralized Extensiblity of Enumerative-Attribute Values

Thinking about this some more, I think there are a great many reasons to use
a restricted syntax for enumerated-value identifiers.

Secondly, I think it is valuable to use a syntax that is already defined and
also has appropriate semantics.

My preference is to use the QualifiedName syntax already nicely defined in
the [xml-names] specification.  In addition, I would add the proviso that
when a PrefixedName is present, it be a valid CURI (eliminating the need for
brackets altogether).  This makes life very easy.  You should not need to
borrow any special syntax in the schema, although QualifiedName does have a
BNF definition.

Being wide-open with normalized attribute values raises all sorts of
problems with regard to internationalization, preservation in UIs, etc.
(NCName has issues too, but it is a well-delimited case.)

Being wide-open also raises more complicated cases of deciding when a
special case is present rather than being merely a coincidental use of the
general case.  I think your use of brackets was intended to forestall that,
although I haven't checked it carefully.  I'm inclined to be more
restrictive and much simpler.

 - Dennis

PS: There is an architectural principle that is vaguely applicable here.
"It is always easier to relax a restriction in the future than there is to
impose a restriction that did not apply previously."  That has a lot of
weight with me.