tag message

Subject: Considerations for TAML Authoring and normalizedString

I think we are in clear disagreement on what it means for
backward-compatibility to start with a super general base type and then make
restrictions within it.  For me, normalizedString as a base type for coded
enumeration-value attributes is inconceivable.

I am prepared to agree to disagree on this one.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Nevertheless, some related observations:

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say "it has some major
downsides" but I assume you mean "it" as anything but normalizedString.

I don't think normalizedString provides much.  I have difficulty thinking
this is tighter or more valuable than NCName or QName.  It is also ambiguous
on whether white-space is collapsed or not, unless you also specify that
facet.  (It is also inconceivable to me that having whitespace in these
codes is desirable at all.)

I see no reason to use normalizedString as the base type of attributes meant
to carry coded-value enumerations, extensible or not. (I assume you mean
normalizedString, and XML Schema derived type, when you say "normative
string" below.)

Are we really constrained to an XML Editor use-case where intellisense is
offered or not?  The editors I use support that.  If I was intentionally
using some extensions, I would use a modified schema as a template for
editing.

Likewise, if I wanted to constrain my use of conformant items, I would make
a constrained version of the schema as a template for editing.  For
authoring, I might even do something so bizarre as to use a DTD as a
template (and I am quite prone to doing that).  I don't imagine I would ever
edit any TAs that I hadn't authored or that weren't authored with a known,
customized template.

I think the users and providers of editors should be allowed to come up with
solutions.  I don't see why we should provide the artifacts other than a
schema that is as specific to the specification as e we can make it.

 - Dennis