tag message

Subject: RE: [tag] namespace issues still - One More Thing

I see that Mary McRae has already commented on this.  Here is what I was
writing while that happened [;<).

It is my understanding that we change the URLs for This Version at the same
time as we update the front matter for the CD that it has become.  That is,
the identification happens after approval.  This is important because we
don't want two documents having the same CDxx identification, even if the
differences are confined to production changes.

To be clear: A distinct working draft is identified in the ballot that
requests it being approved as CDxx.  We should never change identifying
material in a working draft in anticipation of its approval as a CD.  Once a
document is approved with a new status, a distinct copy that reflects that
status is produced.

 - Dennis

PS: I find it disconcerting to see new versions so quickly in response to
discussions and suggestions.  I think the churning could be cut down by
holding off until there is a quiet period.  Also, we never need more than
the editable versions for working drafts.  The additional forms can be
produced when an approved CD, CS, or OS is produced.

MORE THOUGHTS

CONCERNING "This version:"

I don't think those URLs need to be accurate until producing the official
CDxx document.  I would make them obvious placeholders in working drafts
before CD01.  For working-draft revisions of a CDxx, I would either set them
back to placeholders or simply leave them alone until approval as CDxx+1.
It should be a standard checklist process to review and clean up all of the
URLs on the front page and also deal with whatever has to be done with the
page headers and footers when producing a copy of an approved document with
the new status that it has achieved.

FURTHER OBSERVATION

When a document-acceptance ballot passes, there are production changes made
to the balloted working draft so that it is identified as CDxx, all of the
URIs are correct for that CDxx, etc.  Then it is turned over, however that
is done, for appearance at the "This Version" URLs.
   The currently applicable Namespace Document should be turned over at that
time too and it will go into the same directory.  Then OASIS will hook up
the Namespace URL to redirect to that version of the Namespace document.
   I'm not sure what happens when there is already a CSxx or OASIS Standard
using that Namespace but we don't have that problem at this point.  So long
as the namespace is not being revised there is nothing to be concerned about
and the old Namespace Document is probably retained until the level of
document it refers to is supplanted.
   I also believe that standalone Schema documents are supposed to link back
to the specific specification that they are normatively part of.  I notice,
for the standalone plaintext documents that are going out for public review
along with ODF 1.2 Committee Drafts, there are leading comments of this
kind:

<!--
    OASIS OpenDocument v1.2
	Committee Draft 04, 15 December 2009
    Relax-NG Schema

	Copyright © OASIS Open 2002-2009. All Rights Reserved.

[with the usual boilerplate notice information between here and ...]

 -->

And the file name, in the illustrated case, is

    OpenDocument-schema-v1.2-cd04.rng

(Only one of the three parts of ODF 1.2 refer to this schema as normative,
although it is probably appropriate to put the Part number in the heading of
the schema file just to make sure we know which CDnn we are talking about.
I must turn in an issue about that.)

None of these were produced (nor any PDF or HTML) with cd04 in their text or
filenames until working document OpenDocument-v1.2-part1-cd03-rev07.odt was
approved as CD04.  At the ODF TC we do not attempt to make PDFs and HTMLs
for working drafts.  We just make editable versions and the schema drafts
are updated from time to time as needed.