tag message

Subject: RE: 2010-06-23 TAG TC Meeting Minutes

Test Assertions Guidelines (TAG) TC Teleconference Meeting

Logistics:
----------

Wednesday 2pm (PDT), 21:00Z, 23 June 2010

Host confcall: Fujitsu
US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806
Passcode: 9589308

Attendance and Quorum
---------------------

MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

3/5 Voting Members attending: 3/5 requirement for quorum was satisfied

 * Jacques Durand, Chair (Fujitsu)
 * Dennis Hamilton, Secretary (Individual)
 * Kevin Looney (Oracle)

 [*: Voting member at start and conclusion of the meeting (3)]

MEMBERS ABSENT

   Dale Moberg (Axway Software)
   Youngkon Li (Individual)
   Kyoung_Rog Yi (National IT Industry Promotion Agency, Korea)
 * Frederick Boland (NIST)
 = Patrick Curran (Oracle)
   Dmitry Kostovarov, (Oracle)
 * Paul Rank (Oracle)
   Victor Rudometov, (Oracle)
   Hyunbo Cho (Pohang University of Science & Technology)

 [*: Voting member at start and conclusion of the meeting (2)
  =: Persistent non-Voting Member at start and conclusion of meeting (1)]

APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
  <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tag/201006/msg00018.html>
  The 2010-06-09 Meeting Minutes were not taken up.

APPROVAL OF AGENDA
  <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tag/201006/msg00016.html>
  The agenda was taken up after brief discussion, no action:

Agenda:
   1. Review of TA Model, rev 4 (see uploads 6/16, src & pdf)
      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=38313

   2. Review of TA Markup, rev 4 (see uploads 6/16, src & pdf)
      http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=38314

   3. administrative matters:
      - meeting notes approval (June 9th, to be posted)
      - JIRA issue tracker.
      - next PR plans.

ACTION ITEMS

  AI1-June23: [Kevin] Review the guidelines to see if there is a need for
more alignment now that the model document has been refined.

  AI2-June23: [Jacques] Add some information to the Model and the Guidelines
concerning the description element and how it should be used.

  AI3-June23: [Jacques] Note that the UML diagram must change on test set to
align with the change in language.

  AI4-June23 [Jacques] Update the XML Schema for the Markup to reflect the
changes being made.

  AI5-June23 [Jacques] Repost the documents as they are at the end of June.

  AI6-June23 [Jacques] Determine whether Guidelines need to provide
advice/examples and references to finer details within the Model

  AI1-June9: [Jacques] Revise the components on JIRA and add list of
versions that can be used in the Applies Version and Fix Version pull-downs
on JIRA.

  AI2-June9: [Jacques] Create an issue on the Normative Source Structure and
how we propose to simplify it.

  AI1-May25: [All] Review the direction taken in TA Model CD01-rev02 in
preparation for approving the updated conformance section and the approach
to providing semantics in the TA Model on the next call (tbd after June 8).

  AI2-May25: [Jacques] will upload a more-complete version of TAML showing
the RelaxNG usage.

  AI3-May25: [Jacques] upload an update of the TA Model draft

  AI4-May25: [All] Look over Normative Source and RefSourceItems,
TextSourceItems, DerivedSourceItems for Section 3, how semantics are placed,
and how the changes are working before Jacques continues in a week.

  AI5-May25: [Jacques] Determine workable call time and date for the first
call in June.

  AI1-May11: [Jacques] check with Patrick Curran about when his leave
ends

  AI2-May11: *Done* [Jacques] create a standing "TAG Promotion" item in the
agenda

  AI1-Apr27: [Dennis] to investigate "Compact" RelaxNG for our Markup
syntax.  [Jacques finds this tutorial:
http://www.relaxng.org/compact-tutorial-20030326.html]
  [Dennis since found a compact form used in a W3C specification, adding it
to TAG-4, http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tag/201005/msg00014.html]

  AI2-Apr27: *Done* [Jacques] to check the JIRA page, possible
re-configuration,
add Dennis as authorized user.

  AI1-Mar30: [Jacques] follow-up with Dave P. on his comments, to make sure
we address them correctly.

  AI3-Mar30: [Jacques] Contact W3C test team to remind them of PR, calling
for comments.

  AI4-Mar30: [Kevin] Contact Oracle internally to confirm they know about
the PR (folks who contacted him)

  AI5-Mar30: [Dennis] Investigate RDF possible representation for the TA
Model. (ontologies / OWL?)

 1. PLANNING OUT TO NEXT PUBLIC REVIEW
    There was discussion of the next public review and needing to make a
change-marked version to accompany the next Committee Drafts.  Some changes
have been made by high-lighting rather than use of change-tracking
provisions.

    It was agreed that what we want by the end of June is make an internal
review and make sure that we have handled the comments.  Decent CD
candidates can be uploaded at the end of June.  We can use the month of July
for further internal review.  We can finalize in early August and decide if
we need to do more.

    When we go out for the next Public Review, although it can be as short
as 15 days, we have enough textual changes and re-organization that perhaps
we should have a 3-week or longer Public Review.

 2. UPDATE OF THE GUIDELINES
    The guidelines have not been touched except for some minor editorial
adjustments.  There does not seem to be much impact from the model, although
the model has more semantics now.  We might review to see if we should be
offering more guidance, now, on proper use of model provisions, such as the
description entry.
    It is an open question whether other additions and refinements in the
model should be reflected in the Guidelines or not.  The possibility of one
Model example paired with one Markup example is being considered.
    Jacques to verify if the guideline needs to provide advice and refer
more precisely to sub-elements of the TA model such as those inside
NormativeSource (if only acknowledge their presence).

 3. TEST ASSERTION MODEL WORK
    The UML Diagrams need to be adjusted to reflect changes in the model and
text that impact the diagrams.
    There was discussion of the addition of the "Description" component to
the Model.  We see it being used for supplemental human-useful information,
but the component should not be necessary in order to properly apply the
Test Assertion.  We think of it as providing non-normative information in
that sense, and we worked on a wording that would convey restriction of
Description to being inessential although useful to readers.
    Kevin recommended that the new Description element can keep its name
provided we make it clear that (a) the text is not allowed to alter the
overall semantics of the test assertion, only to explain it, and (b) it can
hold anything useful as a comment on the test assertion, whether or not an
overall description.

 4. TEST ASSERTION MARKUP WORK
    The schema has not been updated to reflect the new proposals and
adjustments to the Markup document.  That should be down by our next
meeting.

4. NEXT MEETING
The next call will be on TUESDAY August 3.

Respectfully submitted (with thanks to Jacques for noticing some missing
items),

 - Dennis E. Hamilton