tamie message

Subject: Re: [tamie] A closer look at BPMN 2

I'd be happy to postpone discussion a fortnight of course - could do
with time to read/think about the RFP responses. In the meantime
a few further comments inline...

2009/1/6 Moberg Dale <dmoberg@axway.com>:
> I can try to expand on a call on your questions on both of the
> submissions that Jacques has pointed to that are under development for
> OMG's BPMN 2.0 RFP.
>
> Most of the material relating to graphical notations for diagrams
> derives from earlier BPMN versions. Of course, informal semantic
> commentary accompanied the earlier versions. The submissions for BPMN
> 2.0 attempt in differing ways to use OMG style formalization for BPMN
> semantics. As you might expect, there are several ways to approach that
> task. An additional major goal of interest to me is to provide an
> explicit graphical notation for "choreographies" (called interaction
> protocols in one of the submissions).
>
> I am not clear how the presence of RAND will impact us. We would have to
> consider how implementations of the scripting language or the event
> description language involve anything from the submissions. I would
> expect we would only use the graphical notations (once they are accepted
> by OMG) to describe use cases, right? We aren't going to make the
> languages "model-driven" in the OMG sense nor make use of MOF and
> related meta modeling apparatus. My guess is that using the graphical
> notation for examples will not encumber us at all. Or did you have
> something else in mind in (3), Stephen?

Just the thought that we'd best take care about the IPR if we wanted to
explicitly compare the ETSM/TaMIE approaches to, say, monitoring
collaborations and events to the approaches in the BPMN 2.0 proposals.
If we just make use of the notation however of course that shouldn't be a
problem.

> On Stephen issue (1): message can be thought of as an interprocess
> communication event, as the data packet of that event, or as some
> specific "content" of the data packet (such as a specific business
> document), and I am sure much else. Clearly the proposal you refer to is
> picking out the event sense of "message" and is stipulating that the
> event of messaging is regarded as ending when it is received. Because
> the submitted proposal intends to be able to apply temporal constraint
> relations to the domain of events in a M1 level model (and probably in
> M0 level instances as well!) it is good to have an idea of "when" an
> event begins or ends, so that what occurs before or after (or at the
> same time) can be modeled. We probably want to be able to monitor or
> test that the temporal constraints so described. So we will need such a
> concept IMO. You are of course right that the content in the message is
> extracted and passed around to numerous internal processes, not
> necessarily as a message but perhaps as a file or as part of a RPC etc
> etc. (Actually the modeling of this ETL process is not very well handled
> by either submission IMO because of underspecification of various
> concepts of "content" involved and how we call it different things,
> depending on syntax, technical modes of "passing data" (by reference,
> value and so on) as well as using queues, files, etc. But most of these
> details are software related, and BPMN is supposedly aimed at a business
> level of description abstraction level.

If the BPMN 2.0 were, say, to be more specific about a message event to
BPMN 1.0/1.1 then we might find it more tricky to map it to TaMIE B2B
use cases or to use BPMN 2.0 to represent the TaMIE/ETSM monitoring
in addition to using it to represent a use case. When it comes to mapping
a BPMN 2.0 diagram/XML to TaMIE artefacts (or using the diagram/XML to
generate or guide creation of some ETSM, say) then it is not such an
obvious issue, perhaps.

The kind of scenario where I'd envisiage this definition of message
event causing
problems is where a service process model (mainly service tasks) separates
the task of receiving the message from the several tasks involved in deciding
what response message to return: If it models both a task to create the message
and a separate task which represents the m0 web service that receives and
responds to the message. I'm thinking of where a web service 'wraps' another
sub-process (modelled on a separate pool or swimlane). There is the process
or  task of the wrapping web service and also the tasks involved internally in
determining the content of the message. The message gets sent around between
these several tasks before being sent by the web service. It isn't
actually received
until it gets to the web service consumer but each of several tasks could be
thought of as acting as inermediate receivers before that. If modelling this is
problematic with 2.0 then it could be all the more problematic to turn that into
some ETSM - especially determining which tasks are relevant to the monitoring.
Just something to watch out for perhaps.

> On SG (2): I am not clear enough on what we mean by monitor to respond
> to this issue yet. Maybe you could elaborate on the call?

I guess modelling the tasks and events involved in the actual process of
the monitoring is tricky with BPMN 1.0/1.1. If this all gets reduced to just
an overloading of the message or time event symbols then it goes from being
too complex to being too simple perhaps. The monitoring just gets hidden
behind the event symbol. Perhaps that is a good thing though. Does the
concept of event monitoring in the RFP proposal actually mean this, I wonder?
Will monitoring of events be (merely) implicit in the events? How does one
determine which events need monitoring? ...