tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] Cooperation TGF and "Smart Lean Government"

Peter

I think we need to answer a fundamental question here.  Will the new deliverable be just for the USA audience or is it intended for a wider global audience?  As currently drafted it clearly is the former not surprisingly, in which case I would say the EA-SIG produce it and we just contribute any TGF input they require.  Obviously we would officially recognise their work and help promote it when it is finished.  If however they are interested in making this more of a global benchmark and getting some kudos for that then we should assume control and produce a Committee Draft with them being acknowledged as a major contributor.  In that scenario it would obviously be better if they were a member of the TC but I would not see that as essential.

I think the idea of a new legal entity is not a realistic proposition given the OASIS IPR rules etc but we could put in place some MOU covering joint collaboration and marketing etc if that would give them more comfort.  But let’s answer the above question first before we start exploring MOUs and the like.

The bottom line is we should get our name and the TGF into this output in some way or other.  Let’s talk some more tomorrow.

John

From: tgf@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:tgf@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Peter F Brown
Sent: 16 January 2013 02:36
To: 'TGF TC List'
Subject: [tgf] Cooperation TGF and "Smart Lean Government"

Hi,

Several of us on the TC have been in a conversation over the last couple of months with members of the US-based Enterprise Architecture Shared Interest Group (EA-SIG) of the Industry Advisory Council (IAG), which has produced a piece of work called “Smart Lean Government” (SLG).

Although the starting point and main constituency of interest is an Enterprise Architecture viewpoint, we have identified considerable commonality and overlap with TGF to discuss possible cooperation. The main interest from SLG is to establish some common “principles and guidelines” deliverable that could be co-branded by SLG and TGF – and to promote this now, precisely given the increased attention given in public debates about cost-cutting and improved efficiency of public sector services (in the US, the “fiscal cliff” debacle and the ongoing issues around public service cutbacks are very much in the fore).

Colin Wallis and myself took part in a “town hall” presentation in DC last November during the Enterprise Architecture conference held there. We were a little sceptical about the “fit” with our work but were prepared to talk further with the SLG people. We were unfortunately not able to take part in a dinner discussion together that same evening because of other urgent and unrelated business.

I did agree with SLG however to bring the work to the attention of the TC for discussion and consideration.

There are three issues that are raised:

1.       Possibility of a joint, co-branded deliverable: under some mutually-acceptable title and description, the idea is to draw on the best of both works, SLG and TGF. The “placeholder” label we have for the moment is “Customer Driven Services”. Attached is an early draft of a possible joint document. It is incomplete as it contains details from the SLG “side” but has only rudimentary elements from TGF. I would ask members of the TC to look it through and consider whether there is scope for some joint work here. If there is, we should consider appointing a couple of TC members to work on drafting the TGF input to this;

2.       How would the deliverable be…well…delivered? Given issues in the past with TC’s producing works together with third parties, the “Committee Note” concept was born. We need to consider whether we publish a TC committee note or whether this would be something to be published by the Member Section (and obviously only if we decide in the affirmative to go ahead with a joint initiative);

3.       The IAC/EA-SIG would like to go even further and are raising also the idea that a new legal entity be created to promote the work (under a similar legal structure as OASIS itself). I expressed my concern that this was beyond anything OASIS has ever done in the past for a particular deliverable (the trend is rather in the opposite direction – existing organizations being subsumed as member sections within OASIS) but stated that I didn’t personally see a problem if that were the will of the groups and enough support was there.

I can report more on the initiative at this week’s TC meeting but any comments on the three points above would be welcome in the meantime.

All the best,

Peter

Peter F Brown

Independent Consultant

Using Information Technologies to Empower and Transform

www.peterfbrown.com

P.O. Box 49719, Los Angeles, CA 90049, USA

Tel: +1.310.694.2278

Member of:

Follow me: