tgf message

Subject: RE: [tgf] TGF v2 Review

John

As discussed, one other thing we should add to the discussion list next week is: do we want to produce a separate summary document?

To help move that discussion along, I’ve done a first cut at this, attached.

The text deliberately uses a subset of text in the main TGFv2, so it is duplicatory rather than new material.  My thinking is that this will help both in managing change control, and also in avoiding “different versions of the truth” (which is sort of what we ended up with in the Primer and the Patterns).  But the upshot is that I do not think this would work as an executive summary within the main document itself – that would lead to an excessive sense of duplication for someone reading the whole TGF.  Instead the idea is to give new readers a stand-alone 8 page document to look at – a much less daunting prospect than the 93 page main event.

If we do go for a separate document, my understanding is that this could be produced and cleared by the TC much more quickly as it could be a non-standard track Committee  Draft and so wouldn't need to have a public review.

In terms of what to select and what to leave out, I have used the feedback I got from the SCF consultation process about the key things people wanted to see in a summary:

·        Start with purpose and context (“why would I want to read this?”)

·        Move quickly to the material about transforming the operating model (which feedback shows people see as the real heart of both the TGF and SCF, and is key to helping people “get” what this is all about)

·        Then introduce the structure of the TGF to show the range of material covered in the main TGF

·        But don’t try to summarise each pattern, just use the confomance clauses as in effect a summary of the key actions that a TGF programme needs to take.

Clearly we would need to update this with any changes that flow from the TC’s discussion of the main text, but as you requested I’m putting this on the table now so the TC can decide whether this is a road we want to go down.

Grateful for views.

Chris Parker

Managing Partner

CS Transform Limited