Subject: Re: [tm-pubsubj] Re: Country.xtm PSI; also proposed region.xtm PSI

Let's sum up the positions, if I get them correctly

Lars Marius, Murray, Mary and Bernard are in favor of a specific TC for
countries and languages.

Murray and Bernard think that this specific TC should be open to field experts
of various organizations,
and not restricted to internal debate in the topic map core community concerning
controversial existing PSIs.

Steve P. prefers to see the question tackled inside PubSubj TC.

> It could make sense to extend the charter of PubSubj to encompass these
> two, on the grounds that they already have some kind of semi-official
> existence and are themselves establishing a precedent for other sets of
> published subjects.

This "semi-official existence" is by itself an issue, as you are well aware of.

> This really is the job of PubSubj, so by taking in
> country and language, the existing TC would be neutralising a possible
> competitor!

What do you have in mind? What kind of competitor or competition?

> Including country and language in the work of PubSubj would
> also make sense from the point of view that PubSubj needs examples to use
> during its discussions and to illustrate the results it arrives at.

Sure. We need coordination, the same as with XML Voc TC

> Country and language would be eminently suitable for this purpose, since they
are
> very generic and generally useful across a very wide range of topic maps.

Yes. But they are also eminently suitable for the purpose of setting a best
practice example for importing legacy of expert publishers. Of course, the
process will be longer. But it's worth it if we want this to be both an example
of recommended published subject documentation *and* of best practice for
published subject management process. The stakes there are higher than settling
the status of existing sets of PSIs.