Subject: [xtm-wg] Food for thought?

As I prepare for the next meeting, I have been thinking about my personal biases as they may affect any contributions I may make to the XML Topic Maps effort.  I propose to lay them out briefly here so that others may ponder them and respond before or at the meeting.  My biases, as expressed here, should not be considered of the *strong* (read: disruptive) nature; rather they represent my personal desire to make Topic Maps perhaps something more than that for which they are intended.

I take a strong interest in pedegogy and the use of various tools by which humans construct their internal representations of knowledge.  Topic Maps strike me, at least at this moment, as an indexing scheme, one which provides views constructed by the user to suit his/her particular needs.  I do not presently regard TMs as a knowledge representation scheme, rather an index or view into them.

Standing alone, without recourse to occurances, a TM appears much like a Concept Map ( http://www.to.utwente.nl/user/ism/lanzing/cm_home.htm ).

But, as I presently understand them, TMs build a kind of semantic network with pointers into documents of other types such as text files.  These other documents, to me, represent a record of human dialog.  Thus, I see a two-layer structure: index and dialog.

I tend to wish for a third layer, one interposed between the TM layer and the dialog record.  That layer would be, as I see it, a much richer representation scheme, perhaps along the lines of Conceptual Graphs (John F. Sowa's rendition of Peirce's Existential Graphs) ( http://www.cs.uah.edu/~delugach/CG/ ) or OML/CKML
( http://www.ontologos.org/ )
or others as suggested at http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/OntologyExchange.html

My reason is driven by the notion that the recorded dialog, itself, is often not usable for direct machine inference, and that TMs may not retain the necessarily fine granularity in expression of relationships and taxonomies necessary for inference. I believe that such a rich knowledge representation layer can be constructed from the dialog record, and that TMs might offer, in addition to the occurance links, specific links into nodes in the middle layer.

I therefore wonder to what extent the XTM committee shares any part of my thinking.  I look forward to such a discussion.

Jack Park