Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] XTM Requirements (Was RE: Is this valid per HyTime? - topicmapmai l thread)

Perhaps there is a confusion here between the interchange format and the
application formats. It should be possible for both Peter and Jack to have
their own application DTDs, to continue to the same use (flexible &
extensible) authoring and navigation environments and finally to interchange
information by 'downgrading' to the XTM interchange format.

Depending on how the XTM specification is written, it should be possible for
the interchange format to consist of 'template' element definitions which
can be overriden in an application DTD. Consider, for example the XLink use
of xlink:type - so perhaps there could be an xtm:class. So it should be
possible to define a (namespaced) attribute which declares the type of the
element with respect to the XTM interchange format and from there it should
be a straightforward (XSLT) transformation to convert any conforming
application DTD into the interchange format (and this transform in itself
could be considered one means of testing an application DTD for
conformance...)

Cheers,

Kal