Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: Structural constraints are extensions of equality

I think the analysis of thought-structure types was very thought-
provoking and enormously useful. As I read it I wondered if there are
some other constructs that should be woven into the framework at some
level.

1) Groves, which are collections of hierarchies. IMO, the topic map
for a large corpus is typically like this, a series of topic trees
whose primary relationship to each other is that they are contained
in the same topic map.

2) Decompositions, in which any given thought--a node on one of the
primary types of thought-aggregations, namely a sequence, hierarchy,
or network--can expand into another thought-aggregation, which need
not be the same type as its parent.

As to equality of thoughts, I agree with Ronald Poell about the
importance of context. Equality can only be suggested by the
conceptual tools we have thus far been able to define. The usefulness
and applicability of such suggestions in any given target context
must be judged by a human mind, which can take into account the
explicit and implicit aspects of both contexts (the source and
target). Nonetheless, heuristics such as those you are trying to
define here are very useful as a starting point.