Subject: [xtm-wg] Re: Knowledge management claims re XTM (and Topic Maps.. .)

Hi Ann and all,
      I suppose there is, in practice, a big difference between
knowledge engineering (focusing on knowledge bases) and knowledge
management (focusing on knowledge as a corporate asset).
      As far as knowledge management is concerned, a body to consider
being in touch with is the Knowledge Management Consortium
International, www.kmci.org, founded in 1997.  They started out
particularly interested in standards, especially a glossary, so that
"knowledge management" and other terms would not be bandied around so
much.  They were also interested in certification.
      I attended the first and only meeting of the UKL, the Unified
Knowledge Language, in January, 1999.  The emphasis was on a unifying
language for knowledge bases, leading to a model for Artificial
Knowledge Manager, something like that, which Joe Firestone was
leading.  The president, Ed Swanstrom, started up a lot of initiative,
but ultimately left around February, 2000.
      I'm a member, but I don't have any contact with the organization,
so it's hard for me to judge what's happening with it, except by their
web page.  They have a new, and intelligent, president, and they intend
to do standards work, lead by Douglas T. Weidner of Litton PRC.
      So perhaps they may be benefit from networking contacts and
general input.
      A group that may be helpful for more theoretical issues is the
discussion of Upper Ontology issues at
standard-upper-ontology@ieee.org  and  onto-std@KSL.Stanford.EDU  where
John F. Sowa, author of "Knowledge Representations: Logical,
Philosophical and Computational Foundations" is participating.

Andrius Kulikauskas
Minciu Sodas
http://www.ms.lt/importexport.html
ms@ms.lt