Subject: [xtm-wg] XTM-ISS Interchange Syntax Problems & Suggestions

We've discovered the following problems while trying to implement your
current version of XTM DTD. We are trying both to define XTM using XML
Schema and to create some specific Topic Maps.

We will be very grateful for any comments.

(*) references to topics

We found "types" attribute strange and impossible to implement in XML
Schema. As far as we understand, the "types" attribute should contain
white
space separated list of references to topics. These references inside
one
attribute cannot be validated using XML Schema. Moreover, we think
that one
attribute value should talk about one thing.

As far as we understand the DTD, topics from associations are
referenced via
XLink locators, but from type(s) attributes they are referenced by
keys(?)
(ISO says References). This seems quite inconsistent. Why shouldn't
XLink be
used for all references to topics (types, scopes, etc.) ?

Topic could contain for example optional subelement types (of XLink
type
extended)  with any number of subelements referring to topics (of
XLink type
locator). The same could be used for scopes, etc. We understand this
would
go against the ISO standard, but XTM is not going to fulfill the ISO
standard, anyway, doesn't it ?

(*) XLink type for associations

Element assoc of XLink type extended  only with XLink locators (not
XLink
arc) is not good enough for describing more complex associations.

We have a simple example: Package P depends on package B1 or
B2 and package C. It means that in order to be installed, package P
needs
package C and at least one from packages B1,B2. We don't think this
association can be described using XLink extended type.

We suggest XLink type arc element to be optionally added to assoc
element.

In our example we would create two associations of dependency, the
first one
would say "P depends on B1 or B2" (using arc element) and the second
one
would say simply "P depends on C".

(*) facets with replicated objects

In case when information objects being described by the Topic Map are
replicated on many places, additional data attached to them using
facets
must exist for each replica location for an object, although the data
are
same for all replicas of one object.

There should be a way how to attach information to more than one
information
object at a time.

Tomas Kalibera
idoox.com

No blistered feet. No crowd. No travel. Intraware invites you to attend
a virtual tradeshow: Ensuring Scalable and Secure E-Business Systems.