Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] "New faces"

> Sam Hunting wrote:
>
> Sorry for the delayed response to this mail--
>
> [jean writes]
> > > I will be present at the meeting (we might arrive at twelve the
> > > first day).  If the group accept an invited guest, I will come with
> > > Pascal Auillans, PHD student from Bordeaux University working with
> > > Mondeca.
>
> [steve writes]
> > Under the rules, we have to vote on this before he can be allowed to
> > attend.  I vote "no".  This is not a training exercise, and we are
> > systematically excluding new faces until after the 1.0 release, as
> > the minutes of the last meeting indicate.
>
> Actually,  the "new faces" excluded are participating members, not
> invited guests. (From the minutes: "Consideration of applications for
> Participating Membership will be deferred until after December 2000")

That's IMO a loophole, not the intent of the decision.

The problem is that we are friendly people and the presence of people in
the room is simply the presence of people in the room; they do have
opinions, and we will hear from them. This may be helpful, but it may
also require that they be "brought up to speed", and their input prior
to that is likely to be digressionary. If not in the meeting, then in
the antechamber. As Steven said, this is not a training exercise. We
can't afford it.

Secondly, if we open this up for one, we must for all. If you remember,
I was against even the inclusion of Daniel's guest, on principle. I
could probably round up an expert or two to bring along as well. It's
not fair that one is able and not all. Then we find ourselves grading
the relative merits of our guests. We've already done this once.

We have a very short timeline, and this is expressly the type of thing
I thought we had asked to keep a line on.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

Get free updates on your stocks from any phone with Tellme!
Call 1-800-555-TELL.