Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Syntax is a bitch :-(

>This case is no different from the general "new version of document with
>references to it" use case (that is, the normal case of revising a
>document to which links have been created).
>
>The only way to solve this problem is to interpose some form of
>indirection between the references and the things referenced
>("referents" in the terminology of the paper that Steve N., Peter N.,
>and I presented at XML '99 on version managementof hyperlinks).

Clearly stated, and understood
(assembler background showing :-)

>This
>indirection protects the initial reference from changes in the location
>and properties of referents. It is up to the reviser of the referents to
>provide new instances of the indirections. The only other option is to
>revise every referring document whenever its targets are revised. This
>is clearly unworkable in the general case (because a change to any given
>document could imply changes to all other documents in the system).
>
>Note that once you have this indirection and some infrastructure to
>manage it, it is straightforward to rewrite the indirect pointers to
>point to newly-generated IDs, so that the fact that IDs are re-generated
>with every revision becomes a non issue. But note also that the pointers
>could be by tree location and be just as reliable--that is, the
>requirement is to map the original address, whatever its form, to the
>new address, whatever its form. It is just as easy to calculate the tree
>location of a topic in its containing document and map that to the tree
>location of corresponding new version of the topic in the new version of
>the topic map document.

An xpath expression? xpath+xpointer combination?
Perhaps that would give the first order of indirection.

Remainder noted Elliot :-) I was waiting for the solution at the end
of it! I was disappointed, wasn't I ;-)

Tks. DaveP

Get a NextCard Visa with rates as low as 2.99% Intro APR!
1.  Fill in the brief application
2.  Get approval decisions in 30 seconds!