Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Syntax is a bitch :-(

Dave Pawson wrote:

> An xpath expression? xpath+xpointer combination?
> Perhaps that would give the first order of indirection.

Ah, but XPath gives us no clear form of indirection. The closest we have
is chaining XLinks together using show=replace and activate=onLoad, but
that's pretty weak and not really the same as HyTime indirect
addressing.

This is not an indictment of XLlink, just a fact. XLink foregoes
indirection in the name of simplicity, rightly so, I think, because
address indirection imposes a great deal of complexity. But, the
implication is that XLink is essentially unsuitable for document
authoring and management (but well suited for hyperdocument *delivery*).

> Remainder noted Elliot :-) I was waiting for the solution at the end
> of it! I was disappointed, wasn't I ;-)

Were you? The solution is system implementation dependent. The solution
can be modeled using HyTime syntax but implementing a working
information management system that manages the syntax is a bit more
involved :-)

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m

Get FREE long-distance phone calls on Tellme!
Click here for the scoop: