Subject: [xtm-wg] FYI-- XLink Naming (WAS:An way to avoid id clashes (WAS : Merging proposals u ploaded))

This depresses me a lot:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink-naming/

another reason I like the 'Namespace' topics approach is that
you can colour the same item in your document with more than one namespace,
and which glass you choose to look at your things through for a given reason
is up to you.

Call me a [#censored!#] for even daring to suggest such things, but I like
the way a TM-metadata processor could (in theory) do this.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Jones [mailto:peterj@wrox.com]
Sent: 24 October 2000 14:05
To: 'xtm-wg@egroups.com'
Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] An way to avoid id clashes (WAS: Merging proposals
u ploaded)

Hi Kal,

I just wanted to address the two issues that you raised earlier in this
discussion:

<Kal>
I did consider it being done with another topic map, it has a certain lure
of elegance about it. However, if I understand what you are proposing, you
think that there should be one association for every remapping of ID and
IDREF that you need to do. I don't like this for two reasons:
1) Your xtmdoc instance is no longer valid if id attributes are declared as
type ID - so a parser (not a tm processor, just the plain old validating
SAX/DOM parser that is being used as input to the tm processor) will not be
happy.
</Kal>

I admit that I didn't really understand this. I thought you were saying that
there was some subtle difference between XTM ids and 13250 ones. 13250 says:

<!-- The attribute form "HyTime common attributes"
(common) declares the HyTime attributes shared by all
topic map forms. -->
<!attlist
-- Common --
-- HyTime common attributes --
-- HyTime Clause A.5.2, 7.8 --?ISO/IEC 13250:1999(E) © ISO/IEC
#ALL
id -- Unique identifier --
ID
#IMPLIED -- Default: None --

In any case my proposal doesn't care what the data type is and doesn't
interfere with existing definitions.

>2) You have the 'overhead' of one assoc. structure per remapping.

Not true. I define one assoc of type 'clash_remappings' per topicmap
included in the package and one topic for old values and another for new
values and assoc the two, then there is nothing to stop me simply loading
the values to be mapped into scoped names, with one scope per mapping pair
across the two topics.
So I have my 'Namespace' public topic, that then points to an assoc of a
type (public also?) that has as endpoints the two ends of a mapping between
two values, each mapping pair in a separate scopes.
...Or something like that.

But the one thing I like about my proposal the most, is that it is
extensible to cover all sorts of other namespace information. So my
'Namespace' topic could also, e.g., have occurrences that point to topics
that linked all aspects of the topicmap governed by the 'scoping'
information in an XML Namespace. So I could do mergers that were packaged
and sent to someone who could redefine one or more of the namespaces if they
wanted to, without expensive tag prefix processing. And so on...

I realise that the exact issue of topic names and scopes needs to be more
clearly defined if we open the door to the idea of generic namespace
information storage. But in the single case of id clash remappings I don't
think the task is too onerous to rule out consideration of the proposal.

If anyone else likes this idea, can I suggest that we might move the
Namespace public topic further up the list in Michel's notes
  http://www.doctypes.org/xtm/org/minutes20001013.html
Public Subjects To Be Defined in the XTM Spec:
from category 3 to 2 or even 1.

Am feeling bullish today.

Peter