Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Dynamic Generation and Serving of Topic Maps

Ann:
> I'd be most interested to know exactly what Murray means by :
> "TMQL can be built as a layer on top of an XPath/XPointer engine."
> What kind of layering did you have in mind?

I have been holding myself from jumping onto this thread for a long time.
However here is my opinion:

XSLT as a declarative (and somebody claim - procedural) language that uses
XPath for addressing.
XPathScript is an alternative declarative-procedural language based on
XPath.
(see recent xml-dev threads)

If Topic Maps are expressed in XML syntax (which is the case of XTM)
then TMQL can be "compiled" into XPath and XSLT (or XPathScript).
As well as it can be "compiled" into Java, Python, C++, etc.
(using grove, dom, sax, etc. api)

Whether it will be efficient is another question.

I am not sure if I am on the same page with Murray,
but this is certainly a solution that works.

Thanks,

Nikita.

Nikita Ogievetsky
http://www.cogx.com