Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Dynamic Generation and Serving of Topic Maps

Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> |
> | Furthermore, to TMQL, the actual form in which the topic map happens
> | to be stored should not matter at all.

This is only true if you're not interested in an interchange syntax.
That's what we're doing here. The ISO spec already *describes* topic
maps. The conceptual modelling group is fleshing out the model that
is implicit in the ISO spec. We're harmony-checking.

> * Murray Altheim
> |
> | I've changed my opinion on this. I do think XPath and XPointer can
> | serve to bring to the topic map engine the portions necessary to
> | implement TMQL. In other words, TMQL can be built as a layer on top
> | of an XPath/ XPointer engine.
>
> I don't think the question is whether it _can_ be, but whether it is
> the right/best way to do it.  Topic maps and XML documents have two
> very different data models, just as different as XML documents and
> relational databases.

We seem to be talking past each other.

> Obviously, SQL is not a good fit for XML documents, just as XPath is a
> very bad fit for relational databases. I don't think XPath is a very
> good fit for topic maps either.

SQL is not a good fit for XML documents because it was designed for
live, in-memory database applications. XPath isn't a good fit for
topic maps once they're in the "graph", as Steve says. But going from
XML document to in-memory representation is what XPath is about. The
results of XPath queries are aggregated to create TMQL queries.

> | If this is not true, we're in trouble.
>
> Why should we be? XPath doesn't work very well for relational data
> either. Does that also mean that we're in trouble?

If one can't use XLink/XPointer/XPath to obtain the necessary data
from an XTM document (as an XML document) then we're in trouble. Ie.,
if one can't use common XML tools as a basis upon which to build
topic map tools, then the market will favour technologies that can,
like RDF.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu